The netAdventist Slideshow is designed so that you can easily add images directly to the widget in a widget container, edit them, and show a slideshow in a widget on any content page or on your homepage. You can also add a slideshow to a banner widget container on themes that contain one.
- If you haven't already done so, Log in to your website and select the Dashboard link at the bottom of the page. You will be taken to the Site Content tab. If you haven't already activated the Slideshow in Extensions go to Settings and Activate it. See the Extensions training video for further instructions if needed.
- Select Slideshows from the Left navigation bar. Select the Add a Slideshow button on the slideshow index page.
- Give your new Slideshow a Title and set your Dimensions. Note: You will be able to set or crop your images to fit the dimensions set here when you upload a image. Choose dimensions that fit the widget container you are using. Not all themes are built with the same dimensions. You may have to adjust slideshows and/or banner images to fit your theme. A sidebar widget container can be around 350 pixels in width and a banner widget container can be 1200 pixels when used in a header widget. The height can be basically however much you want. To add your slideshow as a banner, refer to the information at the end of these instructions. When entering the width and height dimensions, you can preview the actual size by selecting the How Big is That? link. This is a helpful tool if you are unsure of the width and height of your images. To improve load times keep your images relatively close to the size of the slideshow dimensions you set. Once you have set your slideshow criteria, select the Next button to move the Slideshow Settings tab to Slideshow Images.
- To add new images, select the Add an Image link.
- Select the Browse button (or Choose File- depending on your browser) to open a chooser window so you can select new images. Once you select a image from your computer select Open.
- Select the Upload button to start the upload.
- After the image is uploaded, click on the image to crop it to fit within your slideshow dimensions for your slideshow. You can click into the highlighted crop dimensions and drag it around to select the area of the image you would like to insert. Note: If the image is in the correct format and matches your slideshow dimensions, the crop step will be skipped.
- Select the Save Cropped Image button. Note: If you can’t get the Saved Cropped Image button on the crop page to show when you scroll down, reduce the Zoom on the page until the button appears. Your image will be saved with the dimensions set in the slideshow settings. It will also be saved in the Slideshow Images folder of the File Library.
- You are taken to the Images in Library tab. To upload more images, select the Upload an Image Tab and repeat the same steps. All the images for a particular slide show need to be saved with the exact same dimensions. An image that is smaller than the dimensions selected will be expanded. Note: The image you just cropped has the dimensions of your slideshow and there’s a checkbox next to it. Also notice that if you have other slideshows with images that don’t fit into your current slideshow dimensions, they don’t have the check box and say Disabled.
- Once finished Select the checkboxes for all the images you wish to show in your slideshow. Select the Insert button. Note: To delete unwanted images go to the File Library, select the Slideshow Images folder and remove them. If the X is grayed out, this means these images are associated with current slideshows. You must first delete the slideshow which is using this image in the Slideshow index prior to removing them in the file library.
- You are taken to a screen where you can adjust the order of your images by dragging and dropping them. You can also Edit each image by adding a Title, Link and a Description that will appear on the photo in the upper left in a shadow bar with the exception of the Adventist Corporate theme V1 and V2 where the title and description on a banner slideshow will appear to the side of the image. Click the Edit button again to close the window.
- When finished editing your slideshow images select the Save button.
- Once your slideshow has been created, to place the slideshow on your website, select Themes and templates in the left navigation bar, scroll down and select Edit template next to home and select the Widgets tab. If the slideshow widget isn’t already there, select the Click here to add widgets link inside the widget container. Find the Slideshow widget in the list, select its checkbox and select the Add widgets button.
- Select the Slideshow link in the placed widget. Select the Select a slideshow to display dropdown and choose the slideshow we created. Select the options you desire and then select Done.
- Select the Save and Return button at the top or bottom of the page.
- Then select the View Site button at the top of the page.
The Slideshow widget can be used as a banner slideshow if you choose the Blessed Hope or Adventist Corporate themes. See the Themes training video or the Adventist Identity/Corporate Theme training video for further instructions if needed. Custom themes can have a banner slideshow added as well.