Using the News extension in netAdventist allows you to keep visitors and members up-to-date on the latest activities and events sponsored by your church, ministry, or organization. It is a wonderful communication tool.
The new training video hasn’t been created yet for this feature.
- If you haven't already done so, Log in and go to the Dashboard. You will be taken to the Site Content tab. If you haven't already activated the News in Extensions go to Settings and activate it. See the Extensions training video for further instructions if needed.
- Select News from the left navigation bar. Notice that the News folder opens a dropdown revealing additional news options and the news index screen in the center.
- Select Add News in the right top of your screen.
- Fill in the required fields to complete the news entry. Select a publish date and an expiration date. Add content using the editor and set your access level and sharing status in the properties at the bottom.
- Select Publish or Save as draft. Drafts are viewable by selecting the Drafts folder under News.
- To see what your news article looks like select Edit next to a Draft title and select the Preview to view it. A new tab or window will open showing the changes made in a preview screen before it is actually published. Select the [Close Preview] link at the top of the preview page to revert the News index page. You can then select Publish once the article is ready.
- When finished displaying a news article that is in the Published folder, move it to the Archive folder by selecting the news article then clicking on the Move to Archive button. The news article is moved to the Archive folder.
- Or, if the news article needs to be revisited, return it to the draft folder by selecting the news article then clicking on the Revert to Draft button. The news article is moved to the Draft folder.
- News can be entered from the front by a member who is logged in.
- Go to your site's homepage and select the News menu item. If a News menu item has not been created one will need to be added. Once on the News index page, select Submit at the top. A box will open with a simple editor so that news can be entered by a member. When finished scroll to the bottom and select Save.
- The news entered from your site’s homepage will be posted in the Pending folder under News in the left navigation bar. Select a news article then approve it by selecting the gold Publish button.
- News entries can be added from another netAdventist sites by selecting the Shared link from the drop down list under News in the left navigation bar. These are news entries shared by other sites.
- Select the Browse Available Feeds button.
- Select the Subscribe link on any of the shared news entries. Select Done. The shared News you subscribe to will show on your news index page along with your own local content.
- News can be displayed on your homepage by adding a News widget or a Main menu item. Refer to the Widgets or Main Menu training videos for further instructions if needed. You can use the link chooser to add a news item to any content page or add it as a widget to any template.